Shutters and blinds make a beautiful addition to any home. Both have their benefits, but which is best for you? This is a decision not to rush into. Window dressings have the ability to transform a room and give you great control over light, temperature and privacy.
And you’ll be looking at them every day, so you’ll want to like what you see! Let’s take a look at shutters Vs blinds, so you can choose the right ones for your home.
Differences Between Shutters and Blinds
The main differences between shutters and blinds are how they fit to the window. Blinds usually fix to the top of the window and shutters are fixed to the side of the window with a metal fitting. Shutters can be fitted inside or outside the home.
Shutters are often made from thicker, solid materials such as wood and have horizontal slats. Blinds are made in a huge variety of materials and styles and can feature vertical slats of different sizes, or one large panel.
Pros of Shutters
- Extremely durable
- Low maintenance
- Child safe with no cords needed
- Add value to your home
- Offer an attractive, natural style
- Excellent insulators
- Gives impressive light, ventilation and privacy control
- Can be chosen in wood or faux wood
Cons of Shutters
- More expensive than blinds
- Take up a little more space as they’re fitted outside the window recess
- Some windows may not suit the heavier style
- Take longer to install
Pros of Blinds
- Extremely affordable
- Offer a simple and modern aesthetic
- Great light and privacy control
- Can choose blackout fabrics for extra insulation and light control
- Choose a material to suit any environment eg; PVC blinds are great for bathrooms and kitchens where moisture is a problem
- A massive range of styles, colours, textures and designs to suit any home decor
Cons of Blinds
- A little less sturdy than shutters
- Harder to clean with the fabric absorbing smells and stains
- UV rays can start to discolour the fabric of some blinds
- Blinds often have cords which can be a hazard for kids
- May need to be replaced more frequently than shutters
Are Shutters or Blinds Best for You?
Shutters and blinds both do a great job of controlling light, privacy and temperature in the home. Shutters are a little sturdier and longer lasting, but blinds are affordable and suitable to be used in any room of the home. The one you choose depends on your budget and preferred home aesthetic.
Contact Heartwood Shutters for more information on timber shutters, outdoor plantation shutters, roman blinds, panel glide blinds, vertical blinds and roman blinds in Sydney.